Wednesday, May 29, 2013

DIY: Full-Size Quilt "GROWS" to King-Size!!




"It's a shame this full-size quilt can't grow into a king-size quilt!" I moaned desperately.  Company's coming; new bed; new headboard; and no quilt - what a problem!  I loved the colors and style of the full-size quilt that had been on a guest bed. And then I had a brainstorm, "Hey, maybe this quilt can grow!" Here's my DIY with easy-to-follow directions and photos. It's "Sew-Easy"!




My full-size quilt before it "GREW"!!!
So I quickly scanned my "stash" of leftover fabrics and found fabrics that would coordinate with my existing quilt.  Here's how I made my quilt "grow":

First, I laid the full-size quilt on the king size bed and cut the sewn edges off the sides and bottom of the quilt, leaving the top intact.

Spring-loaded scissors make the job easier!
I then measured the mattress to determine the desired "drop length" of the finished quilt, which was 14 inches.

Next, I gathered together coordinating fabrics that were left from other projects. I planned to have 3 strips and measured to compute the width of each, allowing for seams and hem. After pre-washing the fabrics, I cut strips in the following sizes:

1st Row -   Barn red checked fabric (6 strips) 3-5/8" x 44"
                        Colonial Blue print (2 squares) 3 5/8" x 3 5/8"



                 

2nd Row - Colonial blue "mini-dots" (6 strips) 8-3/4" x 43"
                       Barn Red print (2 squares) 8-3/4" x 8-3/4"  (see Nancy's Note below)


                  

3rd Row -  Country blue print (7 strips) 4-1/2" x 44"
                    (no photo available)

For fabric for the backing, I cut the elastic off a slightly-small cream fitted queen-size sheet that matched the backing of the full-size quilt.  I pressed the sheet and cut 14" strips the length of the sheet.  I seamed fabric to make the following lengths:

     Bottom - 14" x 79"
     Sides (2 strips) 14" x 91"  




I cut quilt batting to fit the backing.

I “sandwiched” the front side of the backing and batting to the wrong side of the quilt back and stitched using a 3/8” seam. I  pressed the seam toward the end of the quilt.  I sandwiched the sides, stitched, unfolded, and pressed in the same way.



Working from the front of the quilt, I sewed strip 1 to the bottom of the full-size quilt with front sides matching. I unfolded and pressed this strip toward the outside edge. I sewed the 3 5/8" squares to the side strips and attached them the same way.





  
   Strip 2 was attached in the same way.






Strip 3 was attached in the same way, except there was no square on the corners.

I then trimmed the backing and batting evenly.  Working from the back of the quilt, I turned strip 3 under 1 5/8 inches; I turned the edges under 3/8" and stitched through all thicknesses, creating a hem.


I cut 2 strips of fabric (14 1/2" x 3 3/4") in the Country blue print used for Strip 3 and used them to cover the raw edges at the top of the quilt.

My beautiful quilt is complete!!  It looks like it was 
always a king-size, and I love it with my 
rustic headboard!!


Ms. Nancy's Notes: 
  • I thought I had enough "stash" leftover fabric for this project, but the Colonial blue mini-dotted fabric was a few inches too short.  This prompted me to buy a piece of barn red print and add squares on the bottom corners to my design.  I needed 1/4 yard, and the actual cost was less than $2.00!! I really like it better than my original idea! I actually had enough pieces of batting and basted these together to make strips. 
  • You could use the same technique to "grow" twin size to full, etc.
  • My "drop" is 14. Measure your mattress for your desired length.
  • I only had 2 pillow shams, so I "layered" pillows until it looked right. You can never have too many pillows!


***Click for directions for the Rustic King-Size Headboard built by my husband, Charlie, and myself. 

No comments :

Post a Comment